Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Well Hello, Old Friends (AKA, Has it really been THAT long???)

Welcome back, dear reader!!!!

Wow.  So, I haven't written a blog in a long time.  Not sure I remember how to do it.  Let's see...  I got my haircut today.  Not real thrilled with the job she did, but its a small ma and pa barber shop in a cute neighborhood up on...  Wait, no, that's no good.

I'm heading up to Alaska again.  Third time in a year.  Yep, that's more exciting.


Last year, I rode this big white beauty all around Southeast Alaska.  The Sapphire Princess hauled me from Ketchikan to Juneau to Skagway and the like.  It was a week of true vacation on the open ocean.




Then, back in May of this year, I was sent up to Cordova, Alaska to cover the Copper River Salmon run.  The fish are tasty and the views are unmatched.  These pictures above are of Childs Glacier.  It is constantly calving into the Copper.  Breathtaking really.  I was only there a couple days but I was now 2 for 2 on trips to Alaska.

The one problem with flying in to Cordova, Alaska is you have to jump on a 737-Combi and take what the locals call, "The Milk Run."



A 737-Combi is half cargo plane, half passenger plane.  It's definitely odd.  The milk run includes stops in Juneau, Yakutat, Cordova, and finally Anchorage.  It followed the path of my cruise so it was cool looking down on all the sights I had seen from sea level.  But it got pretty old.  And, Juneau, Yakutat and Cordova are not exactly international terminals with First Class lounges.

But now, I am heading back up to the great white north.  Tomorrow, I start a new life.  Its not as big a deal as when me and the cat picked up and moved to Seattle, but its pretty large.  I will be still be based out of Seattle but 3 out of every 4 weeks will now find me working all over the frozen tundras of Alaska.

I knew I needed to be free of television news, and for the most part I am.  Since moving to Seattle, I have freelanced all over town at TV stations.  I've worked for KING, KCPQ, and KOMO.  I am still a freelancer for KOMO because I want to keep my feet in the TV news game just in case it comes back someday and resembles what it used to be.  Also, Fisher is an incredible company.  I remember telling my former news director (boss) in Denver it was the best TV company around and while she knew it in her heart, she never wanted to admit it out loud.  Also, KING is the only station in the country still trying to do good storytelling.  I know a lot of people in Denver would kill to get in the door there the way I was, and I wish them all the luck in the world.  But for now, its production life for TheMATT.

I hope that this new career will find me with some extra time to tell everyone about everything I am up to and I will lie now and promise to keep you better updated on my life.  It may or may not happen.  As for now, I am packed and the cat sitter is all set up to watch K while I am in Alaska this next week.  So I have a free night, and I am going to use it to write a few more blogs to let you see my past year in pictures along with the Reader's Digest version of events.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment